Literacy Works to offer 3/14 tutor training on the Refugee ExperienceUncategorized
The Refugee Experience:
Background Information for Teachers and Tutors
Wednesday, March 14, 2018
6:00 – 8:30 pm
Indo American Center
6328 N. California Ave.
Chicago, IL 60659
Are you a tutor, or do you want to become one and work with students from refugee backgrounds? Literacy Works will offer a training session on Wednesday, March 14, 6-8:30 p.m. Hyde Park Refugee Project volunteers can attend this training for free. Just mention our fiscal agent, the Hyde Park & Kenwood Interfaith Council.
The training is designed to give you a deeper understanding of what refugee students may have gone through and the realities of their life right now in order to support them more effectively as a teacher or tutor
Discussion points will include:
- The long journey from fleeing one’s home to being resettled in the US
- What a resettlement agency does, in detail, including housing, job development, financial support, counseling, and more
- The wide range of refugee populations currently settled in Chicago and the unique challenges they face
- Cultural adjustment issues to be aware of
- What problems you can help with vs. which should be addressed by a manager or the student’s resettlement caseworker
This training is appropriate for volunteer tutors and staff.
Helen Sweitzer has been working with refugees for about 15 years. She started as a volunteer ESL teacher, and is now the Director of Resettlement at RefugeeOne, overseeing case management, employment, Women’s
Empowerment Program, ESL, cultural orientation, and intensive and medical case management programs.
Trainings are free for Literacy Works’ members. $20 for non-member agencies.
To register, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your name, email address, phone number, and title of training. Please indicate that you are affiliated with the Hyde Park & Kenwood Interfaith Council and also indicate if you are a volunteer, teacher, or other staff member.
For any questions, please contact Literacy Works at email@example.com.