Volunteers and donations needed for winter clothing driveUncategorized
The Hyde Park Refugee Project is hosting another clothing drive and looking for donations as well as volunteers to help sort clothing for the drive. This time, we are collecting new and gently used winter clothing (pants, sweaters, long sleeve shirts, snow pants, boots, hats, gloves and scarves) for four recently resettled families. We are helping a total of 24 family members that range in ages two years old to adults. While it is difficult to list all of the sizes, these are the specific requests we have received.
- an XL woman’s coat
- children’s size 8 shoes
- men’s size 13 and 15 shoes
- hats and gloves for 2, 4 and 6 year old girls
- sweaters, jackets, and snow pants for 3 (girl), 7 (boy), 8 (boy) year olds
Other items requested:
- vacuum cleaner
- small microwave
Leftover clothing will be made available to others in need, including guests attending a community breakfast at Augustana Lutheran Church on Saturday 11/18. Please contact Dorothy Pytel email@example.com if you would like to arrange to get leftover items for a local group or organization with which you are associated.
We are also happy to accept gift cards to local stores to help meet specific clothing needs that are not met by donations. These can be donated at the Augustana Lutheran Church, 5500 S. Woodlawn Ave., Chicago, IL 60637, where the drive will take place.
Following are clothing donation drop off locations and times:
- Augustana Lutheran Church, 5500 S. Woodlawn, 773-493-6451, Tuesdays to Fridays from 11 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.; Sundays 8:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
The last day to drop off donations at this site is Monday, November 13, 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. when clothes will already be in the process of being sorted by volunteers.
- KAM Isaiah Israel, 1100 E. Hyde Park Blvd, 773-924-1234, Mondays to Fridays 8:30 a.m. -5:30 p.m. (can only enter building from north)
The last day to drop off donations at this site is November 10.
- U of C Lab Schools, Blaine, High School and ESH lobbies
Drop off dates are November 6 – 10.
We also need many volunteers to help us sort the clothing so that it is easier for our neighbors in need to look through. To make the volunteering more fun, feel free to recruit a friend and come together! Volunteers can sign up here: